The first few settlers arrived in the area in 1898–99 and, in 1902, one of the first couples in the area, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Starkey (homestead entry May 1, 1899) opened a post office in addition to the small store they operated out of their log home. The name Star City was chosen, honoring the Starkeys and reflecting the early pioneers’ hopes for development in the area. The first settlers came via the railway to Prince Albert and then traveled with horses or oxen and wagon from there. As the railroad progressed westward, many would find work involved with its construction. In 1904, the Star City town-site was surveyed and lots were put up for sale. The Starkeys moved in from their homestead and built a substantial general store. In 1905, many businesses were started. A hotel was built. On April 6, 1906, with a population of 109, Star City was incorporated as a village. Lumbering was big business as the parkland was cleared for agriculture. The community grew steadily and with a population of just under 600 in 1921, Star City attained Town status. The population remained fairly stable until the mid-1960s. Star City maintains a small core of essential businesses and services and has paved, tree-lined streets throughout its well-kept residential neighborhoods. Fourth Street features fine examples of pre-30's era architecture.
Town of star city incentives: some rules and conditions apply. please contact the town office for more information at 306.863.2282